Thursday 11 December 2014

'Let's Celebrate ! ' ~ Artist Trading Post ~ New Challenge.



Hi everybody! It's my turn to host the new challenge over on the Artist Trading Post Exchange blog. I've chosen the theme ... 'Let's Celebrate !' I hope everyone will be looking forward to celebrating something during the coming year ! We'd love to see your celebration crafty makes. It could be a card, a layout or piece of altered art. Just let your imagination fly! There's a £10 gift token for the Artist Trading Post for one lucky winner and the good news is that this challenge will run until the 7th of January, so there's plenty of time to get involved. Full details and challenge rules can be found on the Artist Trading Post Exchange blog by following this link. I've chosen to make this festive panel in honour of the impending Christmas celebrations and this is how I did it.........
Firstly, I created a textured surface by applying scrunched up book pages, which I adhered with Matte Gel Medium.
I must say I love this new Sizzix Prancing Deer! I die cut him out of thick card, and used Kraft card to cut the small deer, trees, lamp post and branches. 
Earlier this year, I was lucky enough to attend one of Finnabair's workshops. Since then I have been itching to revisit some of the techniques Anna shared with us. So with this in mind, I attached several cogs and a few found objects to the panel, using Heavy Bodied Gel Medium. Once dry, I adhered the trees, large reindeer and  lamp post . I then coated the whole surface with Black Gesso
Now..... at this point, my panel was going in a whole different direction to the one I finally arrived at. Initially, I painted the surface with a variety of rather lovely Ferro Metallic Paints. You can just see the green paint in this picture. I didn't take any further pictures but suffice it to say, I wasn't really happy with the results. The following day, I went back to it and gave the surface a couple of coats of white gesso. I then dry brushed  the back ground and frame with Distress Paint in Antique Linen and Ice Spruce. I also started to adhere a few more elements. As this process is pretty sticky, I didn't get round to taking many photos but I felt much happier with the way it was developing. Once everything was dry and secure, the fun really began when I got to work with my Treasure Gold colours.
I used a small bristle brush to work the metallic pastes into the surface.  The colours I've used  are, White Fire, Aquamarine, Spanish Topaz, Royal Amethyst and Onyxite. 
I used a heat gun to fix  the Treasure Gold, before buffing carefully with a soft cloth wrapped around my finger. The metal flowers are  from Finnabair's Vintage Mechanicals range. I used some pearls from my stash for the centres. To finish off, I stamped a brick wall stamp with  clear Versa Mark ink, in patches around the frame and heat embossed with silver and gold embossing powder mixed together. I also added a stamped sentiment to the bottom edge. My final finishing touch, was a light dusting of Clear Rock Candy Distress Stickles dry Glitter. Unfortunately I haven't managed to capture the lovely twinkling shimmer. 
So now folks it's over to you. I hope you'll find a little time over the next few weeks to share your  celebration makes with us over on the Artist Trading Post Exchange blog. If you'd like to purchase any of the products I've used, just click on the highlighted links and you'll be transported straight to the Artist Trading Post. I 'll be seeing you again...... soon ! x 

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful and more beautiful!! I love the way you changed your mind mid make and I'm so glad you did because you've ended up with a make full of texture, sheen and gorgeous elements. I rarely cover things with paper to create texture such as this but it makes me want to rush upstairs and have a go - sadly, too many other boring jobs with my name on them! I really loved creating for your challenge Toni.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning creation Toni - I am so pleased you did not give up on it because you rescued it beautifully! I love the textures and the beautiful colours you ended up with. A truly inspiring piece of art! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Toni ! Love how you started in a completely different direction, but what a transformation ! Scrummy texture and the Treasure Gold is the perfect touch ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Toni, this really caught my eye, absolutely stunning.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the depth of colour and texture you've created, a gorgeous make...and a great challenge! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning piece, love all the details and additions. The textures and colours are gorgeous.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caught my eye over at Artist Trading Post - what a fabulous frame, and I just love how you've layered all the die-cuts and embelllishments for a fabulous dimensional look.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toni, this is beyond stunning! I absolutely love it!
    The invert of the frame is the perfect backdrop for your wonderland vignette!! So gorgeous! thanks so much for sharing! ")

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome is this?!! LOVE the technique and all the Christmasy layers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Such a gorgeous framed piece Toni. You've really got those Finnabair techniques working for you with this. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a creative New Year. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Toni! this is one fabulous framed piece! Love it!

    ReplyDelete