Thursday 1 June 2017

Words With Meaning ~ Stamps and Stencils ~ New Challenge.

Hi everybody! It's time for a new challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. Sue is our lovely, talented host and she has chosen 'Words With Meaning'. This is what Sue has to say...........

  I may be an old romantic but I love to see quotes and meaningful sayings on pieces of art. These can be quotes that are particularly meaningful to you or family sayings ! So, for this challenge I want to see your words taking centre stage, big and bold ! Remember, as always, you need to include some stamping or stencilling or both ! 

What a great challenge! This has provided me with just the opportunity, to carry out a little project I've had in mind since I purchased a Seth Apter stencil, with the message 'Now is the Time'. I am a great one for procrastinating, so these words hold a lot of meaning for me. The finished piece will hang on the door to my craftroom and will remind me how precious time is. This is how I put it together.........
I started with a Wendy Vecchi chipboard pocket watch base and frame.

 In order to seal the surface, I firstly coated it with gesso. I then used a sponge to apply layers of Deco Art Media fluid, in Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Umber and Yellow Iron Oxide to the base. I dried each layer before changing colour.



This is how it looked.......
Once this was dry, I randomly stamped over the surface, using one of Andy Skinner's texture stamps.
I used, Black Staz On and a green chalk ink pad. here's a close up of the finished surface......
I then turned my attention to the frame. In order to add some texture to the frame, I applied moulding paste and used a palette knife to create dimension.
Once this was dry, I painted it using Finnabair's Rust Kit. I'm always amazed when I use these paints, as they really do create a very realistic' rust-like' surface. here's a close up.....
What do you reckon, pretty rust like eh ? After finishing the frame, it was back to the base. I secured the stencil with a quick squirt of re-positional adhesive and then applied Wendy Vecchi's Crackle Embossing Paste, quite thickly, over the surface. I carefully removed the stencil and was really pleased to see how crisp the image was. Every little detail was evident. I then had to wait until the crackles appeared. Once it was completely dry and crackled, I painted Deco Art Antiquing fluid, over the surface, working it into all  the lovely crackles. I then wiped it back, with a soft damp cloth and this is what I was left with.....
Before, I assembled the two pieces, I decided to make some wings. I felt that the addition of wings, would help to reinforce the message to myself. Now is The Time because time flies ! I used my favourite recycled material..... yes that's right, tomato paste tubes, and die cut a pair of wings. I also cut a pair in thick card and adhered them to the metal pair so that the wings were not too bendy. I then painted them, using Deco Art Paints and touches of paint from the rust paint kit.
Finally, I assembled all the pieces and used Helmar 360, glue to adhere them altogether. All that remains now, is for me to attach it to my door. I hope that it will help me to keep in mind, that there is no time, like the present time and that time is precious and quickly flies by.

 If you have a message that you would like to express in a piece of mixed media art, we would love to see it. Please hop over to the Stamps and Stencils blog, with this link, where you'll find full details and see Sue's gorgeous project, as well as loads of inspiration from the rest of this fabulous team. Hope to see you there! x 
I'd also like to share this project with the  Simon Says Monday Challenge blog, where they have a 'We're Going Round in Circles' challenge. as usual they have a $50 gift voucher for the Simon Says shop, as a prize.x








10 comments:

  1. Swoon..... This is amazing ! Toni. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about it- concept, design, colour, detail, crackle, rust and of course the quote! A knockout project and brill post. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project Toni ! Love the background and the quote is perfect ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni your project turned out fantastic. I just LOVE what you made ! And the quote is such a good one to keep in mind.
    Thank you for a lovely tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely art.
    Hugs from Monica
    Spain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni, what an amazing creation!!! Love how you put this all together into this lovely art piece! The pocket watch makes a great frame, and the rusty texture is awesome! I am so glad you shared your wonderful creation with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, I missed the tomato paste tubes - fantastic up cycling!!

      Delete
    2. OK, one more...I see you are also on Wanderlust - isn't it great?! I love it!

      Delete
  5. What a stunning project, love it
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toni, this really wows me and I cannot stop looking to inspect every fantastic detail! I love this design and your gorgeous creative mind. The texture is amazing! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Toni! LOVE all the rusty pieces and the texture of the rim - the wings were the perfect addition! thanks for sharing your how to! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete