Thursday 4 February 2016

Splatter, Spritz, Smoosh ! ~ New Challenge for Stamps and Stencils

Hi everybody! It's time for our new February challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. Sue is our very talented host this month and she has chosen 'Splatter,Spritz, Smoosh'. I'm sure you'll agree, that this is a great challenge theme. After all, what piece of self respecting, mixed media work doesn't contain a bit of splatter,a touch of spritz and a swipe of smoosh ! I think there's a lot of fun to be had with this theme. I certainly enjoyed making this vintage style Valentine, accordion card. .
 I started off with a piece of card measuring 16 x 4 and scored it at 4 inch intervals. I then dabbed Distress inks on my craft mat, 'spritzed' them with water and 'smooshed' the card through the colours. This great technique from Tim Holtz, is the foundation of so many of my paper craft projects. I blended a little Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink around the edges to add to the vintage look.I rather cheated with my 'splatters' and used a set of Indigo Blu stamps, called Ink Splats. They're very cute and just the right size for this project.I used a few bottle tops to create some additional circles, and stamped the text using Tim's Ledger Script Stamps.....such a useful set of stamps. I made a little tag and a small envelope with the same technique, minus the text stamping.
The rather wistful image of woman, was something I downloaded from the internet. I made the heart with a piece of embossed, aluminium foiled, card. I 'splattered' some Distress Paint on the surface, left it to dry and then lightly sanded the surface.
The butterfly was made in the same way. Once all the elements were adhered to the card I tucked  a little stamp ticket into the envelope and a tag into the heart. A couple of finishing touches, such as the mother of pearl button on the heart and the game spinner on the butterfly and my valentine card is almost good to go. The back of the card is also rather splattered but not in a pretty way, so I shall cover it with some nice printed paper. Hmmmm! now who to send it to? I suppose after nearly 36 years of marriage, it better be my DH !
If you fancy having a bit of a Splatter, Spritz and Smoosh, hop over to the Stamps and Stencils blog where you'll see some fantastic work from the rest of the design team, as well as all the challenge details. Just remember to use some stamping or stenciling or both ! We'd love to see what you create !

13 comments:

  1. Oh my, Toni, your vintage Valentine accordeon card is absolutely stunning! What fabulous textures and amazing colour combination! I love every single detail here!
    Hugs! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just wonderful Toni - beautiful colours and textures. Just stunning! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is lovely. I love seeing how you developed it. I love being able to read your thought process. SImply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this card, Toni!!! I have a stash of these accordion cards from forever ago and will certainly have to dig them out now! Love, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Toni, love the vintage feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this card Toni, such a beautiful vintage look to it. The detail of the tag tucked into the textured heart is a great finishing touch.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I enjoyed more...seeing this fabulous accordion folded card or reading your post! that textured heart is a winner to me, but I feel somewhat cheated that I couldn't see a close up of that butterfly! I love butterflies! This has such a beautiful vintage feel to it--lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful work Toni - really stunning - amazing work and so inspirational! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic project! Love the idea of it, - each little page is a treasure in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! I LOVE the image, and the background, and the whole design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this, Toni - from the gorgeous smooshed background (lovely colours) to the heart pocket, textured butterfly and charming vintage photo. Beautiful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading this blog post. Loved all those 'mixed media' techniques of splats, spritzing and smooshing. Beautiful vintage feel and look to the project. Gorgeous layout, fabulous design and so very creative...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful subtle colours, love the dinky envelope and tag in this delightful accordian card. Gorgeous work and perfect for a Valentine keepsake. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete