Monday 7 April 2014

Jumbo Tattered Florals, 'Spring is in the Air'

 
Spring is definitely in the air! Our magnolia tree is in full bloom and the birds are singing their hearts out. So in celebration of all things 'spring', I made this flowery wall hanging as my DT piece for the eclectic Paperie  blog. You may have seen my sneak peek here in an earlier post. I started by painting Studio Gesso on to a chip board circle. It measures around 25 cms, or approximately 10 inches across. I then used my favourite Layering Stencils, Trellis and Dot Fade, with embossing paste to add some texture to the surface.
Once the embossing paste was dry I painted the frame firstly with Crushed Olive Distress Paint and then Antique Linen over the top. I swiped a little Walnut Stain Distress ink around the inside and outside edges when it had dried. I painted a separate piece of card for the background and used crackle medium to add interest.
I really like the results of this. It's almost a shame to cover it up but I had the idea of using the new Frame Works  Trellis die to create some 'rusted iron work'. I know I'm going to love using this die in projects. I cut several pieces and used Distress Embossing Powder in Vintage Photo to create the rusted effect.
I stuck the trellis strips together with tiny pieces of tape and then glued them onto the back of the circle frame. I cut a circle, the same size as the frame from the crackled background card and joined the pieces together with dimensional pads. 
 I then set to with making the flowers. I cut several flowers in manila card, using The Jumbo Tattered Florals Die. If you'd like to have a go at making flowers like these, there is a step by step  tutorial, using the regular sized Tattered Florals Die, on my blog, which you can find by following this link. I used the same method  with The Jumbo Tattered Florals Die for making the largest flower on this hanging. Here's a photo showing the different stages..
.
 They're quite easy to make, and also quite addictive! The yellow flower was made by shaping the flower petals with a ball tool on a foam mat and then layering together. 
I used a couple of the smaller Tattered Florals die cuts for the centre of this flower.
The foliage was cut from Kraft Core card using the Tim Holtz Alterations - Bigz Garden Greens and the Alterations - Decorative Strip - Spring Greenery. I softened the surface with a little Distress paint before adhering them to the frame. I then arranged the flowers and greenery and used a glue gun to fix  the flowers onto the frame. The  sentiment is from a set of stamps by Indigo Blue, it's been stamped in Potting Soil Archival Ink onto a piece of distressed manila card.
So, that just about finishes off my spring project. I hope it inspires you to put a spring in your step
Here are some of the products I've, used available from the eclectic Paperie shop, on this project. There is also a new ePlay challenge over on the blog and it's all about incorporating some wood into a project. We'd love to see what you come up with! 


8 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning Toni I adore the flowers, wow, and the whole hanging is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot think of more appropriate words than those Astrid used - absolutely stunning!! The flowers are sensational and you really have created the most fabulous background. Love it. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUNNING is the perfect word! PINNED! They look so real! Gorgeous flowers, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! Love the flowers, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fantastic piece! The texture with the embossing paste is yummy. And your flowers look so real. Thank You for the link to the flower tutorial. Will be pinning for future inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fantastic, Toni. And wow... those flowers are jaw-droppingly gorgeous! Love the crackle and the trellis - altogether fab!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible Toni!!! Those flowers are something else. Pinned. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete