Spring is definitely in the air! Our magnolia tree is in full bloom and the birds are singing their hearts out. So in celebration of all things 'spring', I made this flowery wall hanging as my DT piece for the eclectic Paperie blog. You may have seen my sneak peek here in an earlier post. I started by painting Studio Gesso on to a chip board circle. It measures around 25 cms, or approximately 10 inches across. I then used my favourite Layering Stencils, Trellis and Dot Fade, with embossing paste to add some texture to the surface.Once the embossing paste was dry I painted the frame firstly with Crushed Olive Distress Paint and then Antique Linen over the top. I swiped a little Walnut Stain Distress ink around the inside and outside edges when it had dried. I painted a separate piece of card for the background and used crackle medium to add interest.
I really like the results of this. It's almost a shame to cover it up but I had the idea of using the new Frame Works Trellis die to create some 'rusted iron work'. I know I'm going to love using this die in projects. I cut several pieces and used Distress Embossing Powder in Vintage Photo to create the rusted effect.
I stuck the trellis strips together with tiny pieces of tape and then glued them onto the back of the circle frame. I cut a circle, the same size as the frame from the crackled background card and joined the pieces together with dimensional pads.I then set to with making the flowers. I cut several flowers in manila card, using The Jumbo Tattered Florals Die. If you'd like to have a go at making flowers like these, there is a step by step tutorial, using the regular sized Tattered Florals Die, on my blog, which you can find by following this link. I used the same method with The Jumbo Tattered Florals Die for making the largest flower on this hanging. Here's a photo showing the different stages..
They're quite easy to make, and also quite addictive! The yellow flower was made by shaping the flower petals with a ball tool on a foam mat and then layering together.
I used a couple of the smaller Tattered Florals die cuts for the centre of this flower.
The foliage was cut from Kraft Core card using the Tim Holtz Alterations - Bigz Garden Greens and the Alterations - Decorative Strip - Spring Greenery. I softened the surface with a little Distress paint before adhering them to the frame. I then arranged the flowers and greenery and used a glue gun to fix the flowers onto the frame. The sentiment is from a set of stamps by Indigo Blue, it's been stamped in Potting Soil Archival Ink onto a piece of distressed manila card.
So, that just about finishes off my spring project. I hope it inspires you to put a spring in your step
Here are some of the products I've, used available from the eclectic Paperie shop, on this project. There is also a new ePlay challenge over on the blog and it's all about incorporating some wood into a project. We'd love to see what you come up with!