Thursday 2 April 2015

Stamps and Stencils ~ Launch day ~ Anything Goes!

Greetings everybody ! The day has finally arrived for the Launch of our new Stamps and Stencils challenge blog.We have the very lovely and talented Sue Carrington to thank for for taking the initiative in coming up with the idea and  putting the blog together. I certainly hope you'll hop over and take a look. We are a monthly, mixed media challenge blog and as the name suggests, we are all about Stamps and Stencils. I think you'll agree these are staples in any crafter's toolkit.  Our first challenge is an 'Anything Goes' and we would love to see what you come up with using stamps, stencils or both ! There's some fabulous inspiration over on the new blog, which you can easily find with this link.
For my contribution, I've made a mixed media canvas with lots of yummy Distress Paint and stencilled embossing paste. I was very fortunate to visit Marrakesh last year and brought back some lovely vintage style postcards which I've been saving to use in a project. As I was going through my stencils, I found one that was perfect for a Moroccan styled piece. I used the fabulous embossing paste technique used by Tim Holtz on his March tag to create the background for this beautiful group of musicians.
As with most of the canvasses I make, I covered the background with various book pages, I think it's psychological, getting rid of the blank space! I then painted on some vibrant Distress Paint colours and allowed the colours to marble together, with a little help from a water spray. The new colours that Tim has introduced are exactly the colours you see everywhere in Marrakesh. Many of the buildings are the colour of Abandoned Coral, with paint work in Mermaid Lagoon and Cracked Psitachio, Quite uncanny, I wonder if Tim's been over there, Ha ha !
I used one of Tim's Damask stamps, with Archival ink and stamped onto a tissue.
I applied this to the canvas using lots of Matte Glue and Seal. I also applied embossing paste through the stencil and while the paste was still wet, heat embossed with gold and blue embossing powder. and heated to activate. I just love the effect this gives!
To make the damask patterns stand out a little more, I doodled around them with a gold pen. I also added some stamping with a French script stamp. Instead of using the original postcard, I scanned it to my computer and printed it to a size which just fitted inside the oval shape I'd already die cut in an embossed Cameo Frame, which had been in my 'unfinished stash'. I find that it's always worth looking through my unfinished  stash  when I'm  piecing something together, I often find something that's just right. After mounting the framed picture on dimensional pads, I used a Stabilo black pencil and water brush to add a little shadow underneath the frame. It just adds a little bit of depth. The flower are Ideaology metal ones which, i painted with Distress Paints, I love that faux enamel look.
So there you have it! my first post for the new Stamps and Stencils blog, I hope you've enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing you over there. Come on! dust off those Stamps and Stencils and let us see your fabulous creations ! Full details of how to join in are over on the Stamps and Stencils blog. x

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Toni! Love the colours and the embossing on the paste is stunning! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning work Toni, what a start! Hope you get lots of players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting your trip must have been! Do post photos sometime- I am a world wide virtual traveler- heehee
    This canvas is brilliant Toni- Your colors,stamps,stencils, and the photo- stunning!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning canvas Toni, love all the textures and the vibrant colours.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrumptious rainbow colours with wonderful texture, Toni - this is a fabulous inspiration piece for this great-sounding new challenge site... looking forward to playing along.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes definitely has the Moroccan flavour, just GORGEOUS Toni, the colours and texture are perfect...love it!! Hugs Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wonderful colours you used Toni and your embossing is sumptuous! The DT have certainly inspired with all the wonderful projects. Wishing you much success with the new challenge blog! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge congratulations on this new challenge! And what a glamorous and colourful way to start. LOVE this! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about your piece, Toni, but I especially love how much you went into details about how you did it. Where can I learn more about using stencils with embossing paste? Can I use Texture Paste, instead? And what stencil did you use, please? It's so perfect! You can email me at tina@tinarathbone.com if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful, your piece really evokes the exotic feeling of Marrakesh! Gorgeous colours and textures and that photo is just fabulous, thanks for sharing this wonderful canvas.

    ReplyDelete