Thursday 2 February 2012

Cracking Up !

This is what I've made for Studio L3 Grungey Monday 'We're Cracking Up' Challenge, using Tim Holtz's crackle resist technique. It's a stationary folder, which at this time of year could be used to store all those valentine cards and love letters I'm sure we'll all be receiving!!! I've used two pieces of mount board joined with a piece of fabric, glued onto the inside to create the hinge. I covered the front with a piece of cotton lace,having been inspired by Lynne's gorgeous work on her blog 'Adorn. The frame is made of much thinner card and was stamped with a flourish stamp that I've had for years. After sealing the frame with Ranger's Glue and Seal I applied Rock Candy Crackle paint and rubbed in some Frayed Burlap Distress Ink. I couldn't wait to have a go with this after seeing the DT's efforts on Studio L3. I die cut the heart, padlock, and corners on my Pazzles. I just love that machine!The wings and key were cut using a Cuttlebug embossing die. I gave the padlock and the corners a rust effect by using Tim Holtz Distress embossing powder in Frayed Burlap, with a smear of Vintage Photo Distress Stickles over the surface. The heart was given the crackle treatment featured in Tim Holtz's video and integral to the Grungey Monday Challenge. I've only got one crackle paint in Old Paper, so, once dry, I coloured over it with Fired Brick and Festive Berries Distress ink.
Here is a close up showing all those lovely little crackles, that paint is like magic! The wings of the heart have been given a coat of paint using a Gold Dabber, with gold foil added when dry, followed by Vintage Photo Distress Ink.they've got a lovely vintage gold look which doesn't really come over so well in the photo, You'll just have to take my word for it xx.
Here is a back view of the folder. I've used a Stamper's Anonymous text stamp from their 'Papillon' set on cream coloured card to decorate the backcover.
This is the inside. I made a few 'postcards' and stamped a Crafty Individuals flourish onto some plain paper to add a touch of romance. They've all been given a vintage look with Antique Linen Distress ink.
To finish off, I've added a few embellishments such as the 'Admit One' ticket and 'love' token which I made from a round pendant blank. I bought the blanks as seconds from ecrafty,they're not really good enough to use for jewellry but fine for crafting, especially if you paint them. I really enjoyed making this stationary folder as it's a bit different from my usual work. For me it hints at a bygone age when writing a letter was an important and act of self expression. The joy of writing receiving a lovely letter is very much like the joy we derive from making and giving a hand made card or gift.

3 comments:

  1. Toni
    You have blown me away with your creation. With the grungy appearance yet feminine touches this is art that speaks to me.
    I have to say, for you to give me a shout out makes me feel to humble. Thank You and thank you for sharing this incredible piece of art with us
    Wishes
    Lynne
    P.S. Love the notion of the postcards. Really this tells such a beautiful story, a story that has just begun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great holder, very pretty and I love what you did on the back and the inside.
    janet #41

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo pretty. Love it! I had photo issues too but not alot we can do about it unless we get a pro in!

    ReplyDelete