Saturday, 5 March 2016

Play Time !

Hi everybody! I've got altered wooden, book box for you today, inspired by the work of Andy Skinner. I've recently signed up for Andy and Tracey (Weinzapfel) 'Dare to Create' art retreat in July and I'm excited already ! I've been interested in Andy's work for sometime but I've managed to miss his last few UK workshops, so I'm thrilled to be going, and meeting not only Andy but Tracey too, Whoop, whoop! I thought I'd get in a little practice, by joining in with  Andy's Bold and Bright challenge. full details can be found over on his blog. I started off with a blank wooden Memory Box Book, I bought from The Works. 
Initially I painted it with Deco Art Media Fluid in Quinacridone Magenta. It's a gorgeous colour but I could see immediately that it was missing something.... Texture !  I used strips recycled tissue paper and adhered it to the surface with Deco Art Media Matte Medium, manipulating it to create texture as I went along.
I then painted the surface with Primary Yellow Fluid Acrylic. Once this was dry, I gave it a coat of Weathered Wood Medium and then a top coat of the Quinacridone Magenta, and waited for the magic to begin......
Here is the back and a panel I created for the inside to hold the cogs.
I mixed up a bit of Quinacridone Gold and Paynes Grey Media fluid with a dash of Antiquing Fluid, and brush.ed this over the surface to give it a bit of depth. Once this was dry I sealed it with Ultra-Matte Varnish.
Here is my selection of cogs, These are a selection of kraft card die cuts and metal cogs. I applied a thin coat of Deco art Crackle Paste to the surface of each one and then painted them with a selection of Media Fluid Acrylics. I finished  them off by brushing over some of the tinted Antiquing fluid I used on the box. I painted the metal cogs with Media Fluid Acrylics and whilst they were still wet , I applied clear embossing powder and heated until the powder and paint started to bubble.
I used heavy duty dimensional tape to attach the cogs to my prepared background, i also used the same tape to attach the panel inside the book.
I added some metal corners, and a label. The 'handle' is a butterfly nut, adhered to a couple of metal cogs. After puzzling about what to do with the sides of the box, I decided to use some strips of sheet music. I adhered it to the sides, and gave it a coat of the tinted Antiquing Fluid. As a finishing touch, to the sides, I painted on some  Deco Art Crackle Glaze, and rubbed  some black Antiquing cream into the fine cracks. 
and finally here's the inside.....
The back of the cog panel and a piece of card cut to fit the other side, were painted with Quinacridone Magenta, then stenciled with Andy's Serendipity stencil, and stamped over with his Industrial stamp set. I think that's everything.Well, I really enjoyed  altering this memory box, and giving it a kind of colourful, Steampunk restyle. I also enjoyed my two trips to Hobby Craft to arm myself with some lovely Deco Art products ! I'm going to enter this into Andy's Bold and Bright challenge where there are some awesome prizes and blog badges to be won. As my box book has a bit of  Steampunk style, I'm also going to post it over on Sandee and Amelie 's Steampunk Challenge blog for their 'Anything Goes Challenge, where there are also fab prizes by Deco Art and Boozy Bear ! Until next time... have fun ! x


  1. Absolutely INCREDIBLE Toni. You used so many wonderful DecoArt products and created such a RAVISHINGLY BRILLIANT combination of old world charm and steampunk bliss. Surely your creation will be a favorite of Andy's! YOU DID FABULOUS art work. j

  2. Your bold and bright version of steampunk looks great, Toni!
    Thank you for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

  3. How fun to turn this kind of theme into a bright fun spin!!! I LOVE that! Artsy and creative.